Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Stella finds a big piece of line


Today, I took Stella to the beach for a long walk. During the walk, I came across a hawser from a tugboat, possibly the Elizabeth Ann who has been hauling mud scows out to the dumpsite off shore. Anyway, I decided that I wanted to bring this huge line back to my van and take it home. It was loaded with sand and wet which made it very heavy. Plus, I had to drag it for about a half mile on the beach and back to the van. It was pretty tiring work. Several people stopped to ask what I was doing and I said that it was a new exercise routine to burn off more calories while beach walking. They seemed very interested in the line and one art student wanted to take it home to photograph it. Are you kidding, I thought, after dragging this thing for nearly a half mile, do you think that I'm going to give it up now???? So Stella and I struggled...well, mainly I struggled while Stella just tagged along and wagged her tail. We finally got the hawser back to my van. I also found a hard hat with the Oswalt label on it and surmised that it was lost during the launching of the Spirit of SC since Oswalt did the moving of the ship from the shipyard to Union Pier. It was quite a time at the beach to find all these treasures. Now I'm trying to decide what to do with the hawser.

No comments: