Friday, August 24, 2007

Scare in the ring

I judged today in Atlanta at the Shawnee Mission Kennel Club show. It was a nice entry of 69 Labradors. Unfortunately, there was a medical incident that occurred that was scary. A lady who I know was showing her dog who was awarded WD in Best of Breed. I was getting ready to have the first special gaited when the lady fell to the floor. It was ascertained that her defibrillator was shocking her. Although she had been trotting with her dog, which may have been enough to trigger a shock, it was clear that she was in distress. EMT's were called and the AKC field rep came over as I had to suspend judging. Luckily, after about 20 minutes, she was feeling better and was cleared to be moved by gurney to a nearby hospital. Her friends who were there were able to take care of her dogs and finish showing the WD in the Best of Breed Class. I was very glad that she was okay and was in good hands with the EMT's.

No comments: