Thursday, May 03, 2007

Another warning for the dogs

Plants can also pose a threat to dogs. Here's a list of some common plants that can be toxic. I was surprised to learn from a colleague that hosta plants can cause severe gastroenteritis. Her schnauzer ingested some and had a severe reaction.

If you notice vomiting or diarrhea and suspect that your dog has ingested something poisonous, don't hesitate to call your vet. It will be important to take a sample of what was eaten and approximately how much was consumed.

You can induce vomiting if requested by your vet. The recommended emetic is hydrogen peroxide, 3% orally at a dose of one tsp. per 10 lbs of body weight.

It's a good idea to order a book on canine first aid that includes a section on dealing with poisoning. I keep the book and an epipen on hand at all times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what about brown recluse and black widow spiders? are they dangerous to dogs?