Monday, June 25, 2007

Dog days

The heat seems to be upon us. The dogs are lazing around and not wanting to do much playing. They bounce around for a bit and they go lie down on the coolest spot in the paddocks. We've got the misting systems ready to be installed and will get those going this weekend. I've written about those in the past as they keep the temperature about 5-10 degrees cooler during the heat of the day.

Misting systems are available for a variety of uses but we purchased ours from Ecologic Technologies. They are used in zoos and horse barns. Misting systems are popular in the southwest where they are a regular feature in many outdown venues. Ours are set up on a timer and basically start at around 10 AM and run for 20 minutes every hour until around 5 PM in the evening. The dogs love to lie under the mist.

It doesn't look as if there will be too many cool nights remaining and the days are only going to get hotter. Even with all the trees, it's nice to have the dogs receive some relief from the heat by using the misting sytem.

1 comment:

Miriam said...

Hi, you don't know me, but I found your picture of the moon illusion on a google search. (http://k43.pbase.com/o4/95/519495/1/54578562.harvest_moon_crop_2.jpg)

Would it be possible for me to use this photo in a blog post today? I would save it to my own server and give you credit, but I thought I should ask.